Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mother Nature Stuns Ohioans

Remember Hurricane Ike ? I should hope so. It hasn't been that long ago. It hit Texas, yeah? Well, in case you are geographyly-challenged, here is

TEXAS

and here is















OHIO.

See the distance there? Remember that for a second as I tell you that Ohio got hit with what would be considered a level one hurricane on the coast. Remember the distance?...HOW does that WORK?

on Sunday, all day, we got hit by fierce winds, which knocked down trees, power lines, small children, and of course, the tomato plants out back. Our tree, which is sort of diseased and needs to be taken out but it is a lot to do so, had a limb fall off and fall not the right way, which would be into the yard, but right into our deck and my brother's window. Great. My neighbor's tree's branch broke off and fall into the sidewalk leading up to his house. He moves his cars from his driveway, and not twenty minutes later, the rest of his tree falls into the driveway. How's that for luck?

Being Ohioans, we never, EVER see anything like this. Example: There was a tornado siren going off in the spring/early summer. What was the very FIRST thing my family did? Went on the front porch to watch the storm. Now, in hurricane-like winds, what did we do? Go walk around the neighborhood, of course! I have never seen so much of my neighbors as I did on Sunday when we were all outside in the wind. I mean, this is saying something because I NEVER see any of them... Or talk to any them. But yeah.

It knocked out power to almost 300,000 people in my county alone, thankfully we only lost internet and cable [and power for like... a half hour] for two and a half days, because some people STILL don't have their power back. It also cancelled school for two days.

In all honesty, folks, it was quite amazing. I loved it. We even got to watch a hundred year old tree fall over because of the wind.

We never see these things, and now I can say to everyone I know, "I have lived through a hurricane."

-Jeni

No comments: